Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Schelling Model and Racial Segregation after WWII

The readings and discussion on the Schelling Model reminded me of a class I had in Anthropology last year. The Schelling Model claims that spatial segregation can arise through homophily even if no one person explicitly wants segregation. The Anthropology discussion I had was on the topic of white flight. After World War 2, many African American families migrated to Northern cities. As blacks moved into particular neighborhoods, whites began to move out and major segregation occurred. My class watched a documentary on the process and I believe there was a website that described the process very well. I tried to find it but was unable to. If anyone knows of this documentary or website, I think further discussion on the topic could be very relevant to the Schelling model. I did find some information on http://revcom.us/a/firstvol/890-899/895/bahis2.htm, which referenced a PBS series, "The Promised Land", but unfortunately I was unable to find information on this series either. The effect of racial segregation in Northern cities after World War Two was confounded real estate policies at the time but some of the segregation was a result of self-sorting by homophily, similar to the Schelling Model.

No comments:

Post a Comment