Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Politically Inactive Majority

I know a number of people have already blogged about the SGA elections and low voter turnout, however I still want to comment on this pressing issue. The main startling fact regarding this election is that only 20% of the undergraduate population (which is just over 15,000 students) needs to vote in order for the election to be valid, and the voting period had to be extended in order for this to occur. Due to this fact, I am realizing that I am in somewhat of a "bubble" on campus, as the voter turnout among people I know must be at least 75-80%. As I mentioned in class, last year current SGA President Ryan Fox was running for re-election, and since he was an RA in my dorm and almost everyone I was friends with in International Village had some level of a personal relationship with him, everyone voted. Because people living in my dorm made up a huge percentage of the overall number of people I knew on campus last year, I assumed everyone was this involved and invested in the SGA elections and must have voted as well. In fact, until I read the statistic in The Huntington News that last year saw a 24% voter turnout, only 2% more than what is to be expected this year, I assumed that last year must have had a much larger and enthusiastic turnout because of my personal experience with the campaigns and elections. Generally speaking, one would expect for the students active in various on-campus groups to vote, and would not be surprised to see students on co-op, commuters, or students that don't involve themselves with any on-campus activities not voting. Once again, I'm realizing that I am in a bubble on campus of students who are more active than the norm. Among my peers in the Honors Program, I know people who are involved from everything from club and intramural sports to greek life to academic organizations related to their majors. As a member of a few organizations, I also obviously know the other participants in these groups and teams. Because the majority of people I come in contact with day-to-day are very involved, I once again wrongly assumed that the majority of Northeastern students are involved in many on-campus activities. However, even when I think about as basic of a "school spirit" activity as going to a hockey game, I realize that no more than maybe 2000-2500 students go to even our biggest hockey games. This number of people is still well below the 3000+ students needed to vote in an election. Similarly, the Honors Program accepts only about 10% of incoming freshmen, and as the years go on, more students drop out of the program or become inactive in it than join or become more active. Another interesting point is that last year, Ryan Fox's opponent, Amanda Sabia, was in a sorority on campus. Because of this, many people I knew in fraternities or sororities, a small but not insignificant portion of the NU student body, were actively campaigning for her. This year, neither of the candidates are in a fraternity/sorority, and I have not heard anything from people I know involved with greek life as far as endorsing or campaigning for a candidate goes. Coming up with a solution to get students who don't live in campus, don't participate in any on-campus groups, or are on co-op to vote is a difficult task. People who are involved with teams or clubs or other groups feel more effected by election outcomes on a more personal level because it may affect the budget and function of a group they are passionate about. Students without this level of involvement may feel that the broader issues at stake are out of their reach, and thus feel like their vote or who the SGA president is won't matter in the long run. I think that the candidates using personal interaction is the most effective tool to encourage people to vote. However, candidates need to stand in very prominent places to grab the attention of the less active people. Handing out fliers in Curry during an activities period will only reach students who are on their way to club meetings and are probably more like to have already voted. Standing in quads and dining halls, and maybe by the orange and green lines are probably the most effective locations to meet and interact with people who may not be likely to vote on their own.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry this is all one big paragraph! I had spaces between a few paragraphs but for some reason when it posted, it posted as one blob.

    ReplyDelete