Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thoughts on Homophily

I believe that the idea of homophily was one of the most interesting ideas studied in this class. When we were first learning about it, I thought that homophily would be something that impedes diversity. I have come to realize that while it can separate networks into segments of like-minded people, thus making close networks less diverse, it also can be used as a tool to learn new things and broaden interests and viewpoints. For example, lets say a friend of mine and I both really enjoy reading science fiction books. If he recommends something from a different genre, lets say a memoir, I would be much more likely to read it than if someone who doesn’t share my immediate interests recommends it to me. Another example comes from my own experience. I used to dislike rap and hip-hop a lot in high school; I listened to mostly rock, and then some electronic music as well. When I got to college and found friends who listened to similar things, one of them introduced me to some hip-hop artists that he really enjoyed. I ended up really liking it, and I don’t think that I would have listened to it with as open of a mind had it been recommended by someone who listens solely to hip-hop. Since then, my music tastes have been expanded greatly by my friends around me whose tastes I can trust. Similarly, with politics, I tend to associate with left-leaning people. If one of my friends started arguing against some policy that Obama had enacted, I most likely be more open to it and listen more closely than if someone who is right-leaning brought it up. This idea may not be optimal, but it is the way the human brain works. Therefore, homophily should not only been seen as something that segments networks, but also as a catalyst for expanding interests and ideas across similar people.

No comments:

Post a Comment